Discuss the medication case study of Mr. James Sonnet
Order Code: 459164
Question Task Id: 0
Written Case Study
You are a Registered Nurse working in a rural hospital when a young farmer Mr. James Sonnet arrives. He has driven himself to the hospital after being stung by a bee in a nearby paddock. He complains of difficulty breathing and a tingling feeling on his face. You immediately notice that there is swelling in his lips and tongue and that he is breathing with difficulty- he has a wheeze, and he is only able to say one word at a time. The resident doctor arrives and orders 0.5mg of Adrenaline IM. Mr. James Sonnet will be discharged with an EpiPen (Adrenaline 300mcg/ 0.3mls).
This assessment item required you to discuss the medication from the case study above in relation to the below:
- Briefly outline the pathophysiology of this condition (anaphylaxis)
- Describe the pharmacodynamics of this medicine including the desired action and undesired actions. You need to discuss the molecular, biochemical, and physiological effects of drugs in relation to this patient.
- Describe the pharmacokinetics of this medicine. You must include the time course of its absorption, bioavailability, distribution, metabolism, and excretion. This needs to be related to this case study.
- Discuss nursing considerations in regard to this medicine related to this case study. For example:
- Most appropriate route with rationale
- Which Adrenaline (1:1000, or 1:10000) would be most suitable with rationale
- Overdose signs and symptoms and treatment
- Monitoring required
- Nurse initiated situations
- Discuss relevant patient education that you would give this patient in regard to his discharge medicine and the presenting condition. For example:
- How/ when to take the medication
- Side effects he may feel when taking the medicine
- What happens if he takes medicine without needing it
- Suggestions on how to avoid/ manage another anaphylactic reaction
- How to store the medicine
- Any legal and ethical aspects