MAN1600 Information Systems for Business Assignment
Order Code: Tv347
Question Task Id: 0
- Subject Code :
- Country :
Q1. Collaborative Information Systems
Provide screen prints showing:
- a) the final version of the ‘Collaboration’ document that you and your collaboration partner(s) worked on in Google Docs for Tutorial Week 2 Q2 b ) the revision history of the document
- c) one or more ‘revision history’ pages (see the Tutorial 2 Google Docs Manual pages 8/9) to show the version control elements of the document (i.e. what was changed and who changed it).
Q2. Information Systems and Decision Making
Premier Inn is the UK's largest and fastest-growing hotel brand with over 580 budget hotels and more than 40,000 rooms across the UK and Ireland (and 2 in India and 3 in Dubai). Premier Inn bedrooms feature en-suite bathroom, Freeview at most hotels, and WiFi internet access. Premier Inn offers customers a money-back ‘Good Night Guarantee' of a good quality room, comfortable surroundings and friendly service, which is unique amongst Britain's leading hotel chains. All Premier Inns feature a bar and restaurant; situated inside the hotel or adjacent, offering a wide range of food choices.
Decision: Premier Inn has to determine how much money to allocate to room refurbishing at the Premier Inn Kensington in next year’s expenditure budget.
- What type of decision would this be (operational, managerial or strategic) and explain the decision-making process involved in this specific scenario
- What type of information systems could be used in making the decisions (e.g. automated or augmentation IS or both) and why you think that type of IS can/should be used
- Provide an example of the system software or application (state the name of the application, the vendor and provide the URL or the citation/reference). [You may obtain information from the Internet or printed resources]
For the above, which is a strategic decision, an automated IS could/should be used as the decision making process is unstructured because…...... . An example of an application that can be used is the Finance Planning module of Oracle Financial Services software http://www.oracle.com/us/industries/financial services/index.html
Q1. Read page 62 of the text - Case Study; Competitive Advantage at National Australia Bank).
Also visit National Australia Bank at https://www.nab.com.au/
(I would suggest you navigate around the website thoroughly. In addition to the information gathered from the website, use other resources including your own experiences as a customer and what you hear/have heard/seen/read about NAB). This task is a follow-on question from the tutorial question we did during the lecture.
Q2. Edith Cowan University (ECU) operates within a highly competitive global tertiary education market. Who are ECU’s competitors? In what way(s) do you think ECU can use IS to gain a competitive advantage? (You MUST provide reasonable justification for your answers)
Q1. After you created the database for Ron, he realised that he would also like to keep track of the customers for whom the jobs were performed as well as those who are potential customers.
He needs the following information about customers in the database: customer name, mailing address, e-mail address and phone number.
The following business rules apply:
- A customer can have many jobs done for him/her but each job must be assigned to only one customer.
- Ron may need to keep a record of a customer who may not currently have signed up for any jobs yet.
Extend the ERD created in the lecture for the entities for Ron’s business based on the additional information above.
Show the complete ERD i.e. draw/model it (I don’t want a screen print of the relationship in MS Access as I want you to manually model the extended conceptual database design first using the ERD in your assignment document (for entities in the ERD you need to also indicate attributes [just the name of the headings, not the actual data] and primary/foreign key).
Your answer should show cardinalities and the type of relationship (mandatory OR optional). Link entities using foreign keys, if necessary. State assumptions, if any, you make about business rules.
Q2. Implement the extended ERD (i.e. any new or amended entities and/or relationships) created in Q1 above into the existing database created in the Week 4 Tutorial task in MS Access. Do screen prints (when you have the proper screen in front of you, press the Print Screen button on your keyboard, go to where you want to put it in your assignment document and click ‘paste’) of the following and paste them in your assignment document :
- Each new or amended table in data sheet view (populated) and in design view (showing meta data) i.e. two (2) screen prints for each table. I want you to have a couple of customers with more than one job assigned to them and at least one with no jobs yet.
- Create the relationships between any new and existing tables and implement referential integrity and show the screen print of the new relationship from MS Access (from the relationship canvas) in your assignment document.
- Create a Form to input (enter) or change details of customers and jobs assigned to them. Do a screen print of the Form in Form view and paste it in your assignment document.
- Create a query to show jobs assigned to a particular customer when the user is asked to input the customer ID. Do screen prints of the query in design view and the result of the query and paste them in your assignment document.
- Create a report of a listing of jobs by customer showing their details and relevant details of the jobs assigned to them (i.e. Job ID, Sub Contractor Name, Job Type, Contract Price and actual finish date. Do a screen print of the report and paste it in your assignment document. The report has to be properly formatted (imagine you are going to use it as a ‘user’)
For data types, if it is a mixture of numbers & text, use ‘text’ data type.
- In order to ‘link’ tables (i.e. where the primary key of one table is a foreign key in another table), data types of both fields have to be the same and have the same field size. (However, the one exception is, if a primary key in the one table has the data type of ‘AutoNumber’ when you create the field in the many table, it will have a data type of ‘Number’). Think also about the primary keys you use.
(You wouldn’t have the same ones for different entities i.e. not a customer ID, Job ID and Contractor ID all with the primary key value of 1)
- In linked tables, you cannot add a field entry as a foreign key in a many table unless it exists as a primary key field entry in the one table first (as per the tutorial, you couldn’t add a Sub Contractor ID in the JOB table [the ‘many’ table] unless it already existed in the SUB CONTRACTOR table [the ‘one’ table] first).
For this task, you are to choose one (1) example of WEB 2.0 technology (e.g. Software as a Service [SaaS], Google Adwords, Google Adsense, Social Networking, User Generated Content (UGC), Crowdsourcing). Find one (1) peer-reviewed academic journal article of at least 4 pages in length and write an essay (minimum 1.5 pages, maximum 2 pages) about the article using the following as a guide (N.B.: if you are not sure about the suitability of the article, speak to me):
Introduction – What is Web 2.0 (also give the various technologies above and say in your own words what they mean e.g. Software as a Service (where companies.....), UGC (this is where....). Why you have selected that particular technology to research (e.g. related to the major you intend to do, it interests you, you use it, etc.)
Main Body – A summary of the article in your own words (2-6 paragraphs). This would include things like the purpose of the article (or the research), how the data was gathered, what the authors found.
Conclusion - The conclusion of the essay will be your views on the article (do you agree with the authors – why or why not; do you think it is a good article)
Q1. At Gourmet Pizzas the process in place when receiving goods ordered from suppliers is as follows:
The inventory clerk will check the ordered goods against the delivery order and a copy of the original invoice which was filed when the order was made. If there is a discrepancy or error in the goods delivered compared to what was ordered, the inventory clerk will advise the purchasing clerk by issuing an ‘error in order’ form. The inventory clerk will return the goods to the supplier and the purchasing clerk will send the supplier an error notification. If there are no errors in the delivered order, the inventory clerk will advise the purchasing clerk by sending him a signed copy of the delivery order. The inventory clerk will then update the stock on hand card. When the purchasing clerk receives the signed copy of the delivery order, he will update the purchase register. Then he/she will make a copy of the signed delivery order and of the original invoice that was in the purchasing file and send them to the payment clerk for payment to be made. The payment clerk will then make the payment to the supplier.
- Model the Inventory Maintenance Process using BPMN notations and swim lanes. Show activities, data and process flows.
- Explain briefly how an information system can be used to improve the process.
Q2. The ECU FB&L Library staff have prepared a document to help with this task. It is under the Assignment section of Blackboard (Assessment>Assignment) titled Task 5Q2
Select any one of the following (it may be a good idea to select one from an area which you are interested in or are choosing to major in) to research a relevant software package (an application):
- Sales and Marketing
- Operations (e.g. retail, hospitality & tourism, education, etc.)
- Human Resources Management (HRM)
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
Using the Internet and/or other sources (you MUST provide referencing i.e. cite URL [i.e. web address] and/or other details of the publications you use) find a vendor (seller) of the application you have chosen and do the following:
- State the name of the vendor and what the software/application is called.
- Describe the features of the application (you must compare it to what the text says should be the features/functions of these types of applications).
- State the cost if any. What is the implication(s) of this?
- State the advantages and disadvantages of the application or problems/issues associated with it (use the text book to help you, if necessary.