ATC401 Advanced Therapeutic Communication-Demonstration and Reflection
- Subject Code :
- University :
To complete this task you need to record a five-minute video in which you interact with another person, demonstrating a range of effective verbal and non-verbal communication skills. Then, in a 500 word analysis of the video, critically reflect on your interactions, highlighting two strategies to improve your future interpersonal communication.
Please refer to the Task Instructions for details on how to complete this task.
Communication in professional and personal settings is a complex and multi-faceted process. This task is designed to facilitate self-reflection and change, and requires you to evaluate your own personal communication style then design strategies for improvement. This assessment draws from concepts covered in the first four weeks of this subject. Elements of your personal communication style relevant to this assessment include self-awareness, self-esteem, assertiveness skills and your ability to understand and work with misunderstanding, apology, and non-verbal expression.
For this assessment, you must record a five-minute interpersonal therapeutic interaction between you and another person then write a 500-word reflection on the effectiveness of your communication style.
In the video, you must assume the role of a counsellor, listening and responding to a client’s situation. During this interaction, you must demonstrate your ability to apply a range of appropriate micro-skills to therapeutic work. These may include questioning, responding, noting, focussing, influencing and attending behaviour.
The client in your video must also demonstrate barriers to verbal and/or non-verbal communication, which you need to show you understand.
The other person in your video can be a friend, colleague, family member or other peer. It is advised that you write a brief script to follow so that the session runs with clarity.
Instructions on how to format and upload your video can be found below.
For your reflection, you must consider and briefly comment in 500 words on the way you communicated during this interaction. This should include:
- Noting the micro-skills you applied and a justification of why they were important;
- An indication of the barriers to verbal and non-verbal communication you experienced (both in yourself and the client); and
- A minimum of two areas of interpersonal communication you wish to improve and the strategies you could implement to do
If you wish to draw attention to a particular element of the video please indicate this via a time stamp indicating the time at which the particular interaction commenced (MM:SS).
- You may write in the first person for this
- You may use sub-headings in this
- Be formal and objective in your
- Be analytical and demonstrate critical thinking.
- Reference course materials in-text to support your
- Format in-text references and the reference list according to APA 6th referencing style.
- Use a size 12 font, normal page boundaries and include page
Formatting and filming instructions
Your recording must be in a video format (.mp4 or .MOV) for uploading to Blackboard.
- To film your assessment appropriately, follow these guidelines: https://laureateau.blackboard.com/bbcswebdav/pid-3310931-dt-content-rid- 82324_1/institution/Groupwide/Submit Video Online Part 1 Filming v pdf
- To compress your file to the right size for upload, follow the Submit and Video Assignment guidelines here: https://laureateau.blackboard.com/webapps/blackboard/content/listContentEditable.jsp?c ontent_id=_5480 654_1&course_id=_529_1&mode=reset
- After uploading your video presentation, retain a copy in a safe place as you may have the opportunity to upload a copy in a class later in the trimester.
It is essential that you use the appropriate APA style for citing and referencing research. Please see more information on referencing here http://library.laureate.net.au/research_skills/referencing
Please upload your presentation notes/slides and bibliography for marking purposes via the Assessment 1 link in the main navigation menu. The Learning Facilitator will provide feedback via the Grade Centre in the LMS portal. Feedback can be viewed in My Grades.
Due by 11:55pm AEST Sunday end of Module 6 (Week6).
The work you submit for this assessment task must be your own and align with the Torrens University Australia Academic Integrity Policy and Procedure. Before submission, please make sure you have read and are aware of this policy, viewable online at http://www.torrens.edu.au/policiesand-forms.
Also, please keep a copy of all submitted material and your drafts.