Helix Automative -Project Management
The HELIX Automotive Co. Ltd is facing a period of significant change due to Covid 19 pandemic situation,driven by poor profitability, excess finished stock, overcapacity and less demand from customers. This is due to the process of selling cars from the existing stocks which may not be able to fulfil customer requirements based on their preferences. Shifting their business models away from mass production toward mass customization and build-to-order is the best option towards vehicle manufacturer to overcome these issues. Conversion of the business model from the ready stock to build to order would increase existence system efficiency in terms of order execution and information flow integration. Therefore, in order to compete with the current trend of build-to-order vehicles manufacturing, HELIX Automotive Co. Ltd implemented a ’35Challenge’ project to develop framework based on customer specification in which a vehicle can be built and transport to customer in minimal lead times within 15 days order-to-delivery (OTD) time as the ultimate goal for the project.
1However, ’35Challenge’ project was not successfully implemented due to project management team unable to:
i) develop a proper project scope,
ii) balance between scope and time to achieved project goal,
iii) identify appropriate resources,
iv) clearly state contingency plan if there is risk occur.
Due to this limitation faced, ’35Challenge’ project was unable to meet customer requirements, because vehicles built to individual specification could not be delivered within required time a 20% of the development not based on customer specification. The project management team faced obstacles in the project due to a poorly written project charter due to improper work authorization as the responsibilities and roles not clearly stated in project charter.
The CEO is concerned that the ’35Challenge’ project is a crucial project to meet the automotive market competency in meeting the build-to-order trend and the CEO has decided to recover the ’35Challenge’ project.
- In order for the organization to ensure timely completion of the ’35Challenge’ project, they performed some main planning tasks including Sequencing activities to review the activity list and project scope statement. Describe any two (2) sequencing activities involved in the project and explain four (4) reasons for Creating Dependencies by providing an example which related to the project. (20 marks)
- Which process group/phase is this? Which knowledge area(s) is this related to? àproject planning, project schedule management
- The question looking for Process? Or input, tools and techniques, or output? àtools and techniques of Sequence Activities
- PDM, determining activity Dependency, creating network diagram, project management informative system, identify leads and lags
- Prioritise activities – F-S
- Maximise resources – resources can be arranged according floats
- Develop full project schedule- to develop schedule baseline
- Identify full project duration
- The management of this organization believed that “People are our most important asset.” Discuss the importance of Project Resource Management associated with the project, and describe TWO (2) main outputs produced as a part of project resource management planning. Identify and explain ONE (1) component in team management plan that can be used to map work described in Work Breakdown Structures (WBS) to the people responsible for performing the work. (20 marks)
- Which process group/phase is this? Which knowledge area(s) is this related to? àproject planning, project resource management
- The question looking for Process? Or input, tools and techniques, or output? àproject resource management plan process, outpus.
- Outputs: Project Resource Management Plan (explain what is it and what should be included in the document), Team Charter (explain what is it and what should be included in the document)
- Team management plan component: Resource breakdown structure (RBS) (explain what is it and what should be included in the document)
- The case study clearly stated that the project does not successfully completed due to the several factor. As a project analyst, you are assigned by the project manager to prepare a complete risk register as a guidance for project team to run the execution. Four (4) risks should be identified and briefly describe to ensure project team understand risk register developed. (20 marks)
- Which process group/phase is this? Which knowledge area(s) is this related to? àproject planning, project risk management
- The question looking for Process? Or input, tools and techniques, or output? àidentify risk, risk register as the output.
- Risk Register
Areas to be focused:
- Project Planning, Execution, and Monitoring and Controlling. Understanding each process groups.
- Identify what process group/phase? >> What knowledge area? >> What process? >> What inputs? Tools and Techniques? and Outputs?
- Relate to the case study.
- Suitable assumption can be made.
- References(proper citation) is a must if external resources were used.